Monday, June 23, 2008

Ancestry.com correspondence

Jean:
Seems we may have corresponded in the past, at least I did with someone in Hunt Co., TX. I have information on John Brooks Milbourn, his brother George Brooks, Henry and sister,Mary
They were all in the 1870 census of Lee County, Virginia. Henry went to Butler County, Kansas in 1878. John Brooks and George Brooks went to Hunt County, TX soon after the census.
George Brooks then went to Butler County, Kansas in 1886. His wife, Lavina Orr is buried there in the Donelton Cemetery southeast of Greenville. His son, Millard is buried there along with some McElroy's of Lee County.
Sarah Baumgardner Milbourn, wife of John Brooks was in her parents home in the 1880 census of Lee so presumbably John Brooks died while in Texas but I have been unable to locate his grave.
I need to brush up a little on the Milbourn family as I can see I don't have all the answers to the problem. I'll keep looking.
Will await your reply.

John
Reply Report Abuse Print
Re: missing ancestors
Jean Stewart (View posts) Posted: 14 Jul 2001 6:44PM

Classification:
Surnames: Stewart,Milbourne,Sprinkle,Baumgardner
Yes, we did correspond and you graciously sent me a picture of Andrew Milbourn

I found John M in the tax rolls in 187? in Hunt County. Two of their daughters married here. One is buried in Long Cemetery in Miller Grove (Hopkins Co.). Family history has it that both John and Sarah are buried there also. Sarah came back to Hunt County and was living with her daughter Emily Catherine Stewart in the 1910 census. I can't find a death certificate for either of them; no luck at the funeral homes either. I posted the query on the off chance Sarah might have gone back to VA after Emily died in 1911. I even checked marriage licenses in case she remarried after 1910 (age 73!!!)

Thanks for responding.

No comments: